Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Bad Boy Bill on July 4th: Fire works

When I saw on Facebook that my favorite DJ in the world (Bad Boy Bill) would be playing a local club on the 4th of July, I thought it was too good to be true. It didn't matter. I pulled out my credit card and bought a presale ticket just in the rare case the show would sell out.

It was my first time being at this venue, V-Live. I have to say, I was impressed. The venue had 3 levels with one main room set up for the bigger DJ headliners. When I first arrived at around 9:00, there were very few people there--maybe 20 at the most. That worried me. Would I be forced to see my DJ idol with 50 other people in a near-empty show room? It sometimes happens where even a great lineup will not draw due to a number of factors; some outside the control of the promoters.

I was put to ease when I saw a steady flow of people filing into the venue. Now, because Bill is an old-school DJ, the average age had to be around 30 years old. I was baffled as to why the even let the 18-20 crowd in (kids that age couldn't possibly understand why Bad boy Bill is and always will be a Chicago legend). Either way, I love to see the younger crowd paying to see quality music talent rather than some rich kid showing off his new I-Book and down loadable DJ program.

I wish I had more good things to say about the venue. It wasn't dirty or in any way a fire hazard; but it just had too many promoters and security and not nearly enough bartenders and hot dancers. Drinks were way over-priced but the staff was rude and at times disrespectful to us patrons.

I can only speak for myself when I say: It made this year's 4th of July awesome--one for the record books. It also gave me new stories to tell the new-schoolers about DJs Bad Boy Bill and Mark Farina.

Overall grade: B- by Just Jay and staff

1 comment:

  1. how are you a patron to a club youve never been to? the 18-20 crowd was let in because it was a rave...the club that operates ona regular basis is a very highclass club. you cant even get in wearing tennis shoes on an AVERAGE saturday night. bad boy bill doesnt even compare to some of the djs that come thru that place. as far as them being rude to you its probably the way you approached them. they treat me like vip up there. expensive drinks?? welcome to quality chicago 5* night life. thats the price you pay to be in a room full of normal people your age rather than some over capacitated 110 degree room packed full of drugged out 16 year olds looking for someone to suck off for another roll.

    not to be a dick but ive read a few of your blogs and you really dont seem to know what the fuck your talking about and you basically just keep repeating that your on bad boy bills dick and you try and belittle everyone who isnt. and i love how you think 18-20 shouldnt be allowed to watch 'djs of your generation'. maybe if thats how you feel the kidz in chicago hosting events should stop your old ass at the door.

    ReplyDelete