Monday, June 13, 2011

PLUR Defined by Just Jay

Although I am a die-hard raver, circumstances and fate led me away from the parties I love—at least for a while. Ravers have a unique code and outlook on life that sets them apart from the mainstream electronic music audiences and party-goers. They call it PLUR, which is an acronym for Peace, Love, Unity, and Respect.

There is real no way to describe the meaning of PLUR. The way I see it, it is a way of life and a set of ethical values that the raver follows in order to sustain and protect a way of life for the people (like me and many of my friends) who will walk to the end of earth for a good party, as long as it has those good vibes. In reality, one must first become a raver before he or she can truly understand what the PLUR phenomenon is all about; or so I thought. It took me many years of parties all over the United States to have the ability to understand this notion.

Well, more to the point, I had to leave my beloved (Chicago!) rave scene in order to attend to some personal eccentricities; one of which was a bad break-up from a great girl. Anyway, the fact remains that I have a passion for electronic music, lightshows, dancing, awesome DJs, bass, and the awesome people who share those likes.

If you would have told me that I could find people like this at a club versus a random warehouse (the usual domain for rave parties), I would have laughed. But it happened. I went to my usual club spot at which happens to be one of the top-rated night clubs in the United States. Located downtown (Chicago!), this club often caters to the Chicago elite: DJs, business men, movie stars and athletes. The party people at this club are of all ages (over 21), men, women, black, white, Oriental and Hispanic, for it prides itself on diversity, much like the Chicago rave scene.

I had been going to this club on and off for many years after me and my friends paid off a bouncer to illegally enter the club when I was 17. Ever since then, I consider this place one of my very favorite Chicago destinations to have mega fun! Well, last Saturday night at this club was prenominal! It was the first time in many months I have seen people letting loose, dancing, jumping and raving to the DJs. I mean, it was indescribable. The vibes were amazing, the music was near-perfect and it all came to together ever-so-perfect.

Of course, being true to the raver code, I had to bring my glow sticks and show off one of my God-given talents to my new group of friends: lightshows. And as it turned out, the clubbers absolutely loved it! To return the love, I gave one of my spare glow sticks to a group of kids and it made their night (as well as my own)! They must have taken over 100 pictures showing off this glow stick, which I'm sure will be posted on their Facebook pages the next day. I loved it all, a lot! An if you think that it couldn't get any better, you're wrong! When I went to take a break from being on my feet and waving lights around, I decided to check Facebook on my phone. Boom! I had a "wall post" from a girl who I really like and respect. She just said hello, but it added to the perfectness.

This, readers, is what I mean by PLUR. Actions and emotions, collectively and independently, coming together to heighten one to the point of intense euphoria. I'm down for that any day, anytime, anywhere and it doesn't have to be at a stuffy warehouse on Chicago's west side either.

No comments:

Post a Comment