It's days like today that I thank God I am not a Chicago Public School (CPS) teacher. The Chicago Sun-times ran a story yesterday about a personality test required before one is hired as a CPS teacher. Of course, the teachers claim the testing is unfair and that it has eliminated some very qualified applicants. One of those eliminated applicants was a woman who completed her graduate studies in special education at Michigan State University. The Sun-times described her as a "dream applicant," who was all but hired except for this entrance personality test.
I really don't see the problem here. When I completed my teaching degree in 2005 I lost count of the different tests we were required to take (and pass) in order to become full-time CPS teachers. If the CPS wants a prayer at competing with the rest of the nation for the top teachers, they're going to have to man-up and tackle any and all standards required by the Board of Education and district administrators. And if that means a prospective teacher must complete a paper and pencil assessment on the correct teaching methods, so be it. Second best is first loser!
No comments:
Post a Comment