Monday, June 6, 2011

Book Smart Vs. Street Smart: Dominate the World!

Monday, June 06, 2011 – Books Vs. Streets by Just Jay
I write because I know when I'm right!

With that being said, here's the deal with the argument over which is more important to the life-long endeavor to lead a productive, proactive and meaningful life in society TODAY: do I conform with education, or do I journey through the streets and learn about the law (and Law!) of life? The answer: neither!

If you want to achieve an "education" that will prepare you to absolutely dominate societal world in a proactive way, you must learn both--the streets and the books. Traditionally, unfortunately, one learns about books, i.e., reading and writing, through school. On the other side of the pendulum, one learns about life, i.e., society, through the experiences (or lack thereof!) of living. For example, if I'm a kid, and wanted to learn how to get rich, I'd pay close attention to my state-prescribed school subjects (boring) and probably check out the carefully-edited selections of books in the local library (a little less boring). But, if I'm a kid who doesn't have access to school, I'd take the bus downtown or to the closest urban epicenter and carefully observe people in action; making money, spending money, etc. I might even try to sneak into a busy office building just to observe the types of people who actually look like financial success.

Now, if I'm the kid who goes to school, doing things in theory presented to him through books, chances are rock-bottom low that he will meet his goal of being the next Bill Gates. On the hand, if I'm the kid who wanders the streets of the city, making observations and maybe later even putting some of those observations into practice (like selling the Chicago Sun-times newspaper on a busy city intersection), my chances are a little better but still low to attain the same goal.

However, if I'm the kid (and I was that kid!) who does both, goes to school all day AND wanders the streets at night, I'm getting rich! Or, if not rich, famous! Why? Because one needs both types of educations to compete in today's ultra-competitive society. I've had many jobs wherein I've had the displeasure of hiring and recruiting new employees. I laughed out loud at these kids who bragged non-stop about all the awards and recognitions they received at their high schools and junior colleges. Like the guy who boasts about being captain of the sailing team, thinking he rescued the Titanic! Sorry, I don't want to work with you much less hire you, so get out of my office!

Then, I interview a kid who says he did both--was maybe less successful—but had the courage to approach both ways of learning—books and streets combined. Much like the kid who took an interest in Accounting class and then took two trains and a bus to work at the old Chicago Stadium, where he was able to watch commerce in action, while, at the same time, watching the Chicago Bulls dominate the world (again, like me!). Hired! Yes sir, hired, promoted and then...like Mike: world champion and MVP! Any questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment